Sunday, March 8, 2015

Woodwork is done.

Got most of the wood in the boat.  Took a bit to fit the seats and the CB case but we got there.  I'll glue everything in this week.  Lot's of sanding to come.  We have to get some better weather for that.  I do the sanding outside.

The weather is finally starting to get better. I got the seats glued in and will get the boat outside for resin, sanding, and varnish.

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Inwales, outwales, skegs, and skids

The plans for this boat call for the shear clamps to be placed on the outside of this boat doubled up in two layers.   On an open deck boat like this, I like to do both inner and outer clamps.  Just like in canoe building.  I've fitted and glued in the clamps.  With that I'm going to have to adjust the precut seats and bulkheads. 

Dry fit the interior
You can never have enough clamps...
 I flipped the boat over and attached the skeg and the skids.  I know what the skeg does but the skids are suspect.   I anchored each with temporary screws right thru the bottom.  When I get the boat upright I'll put permanent screws from the inside.


Sunday, March 1, 2015


I got all the copper stitches out of the boat and put down the inside fairing with thickened resin. 
The inside fiberglass went next.  I'll flip the boat over and do the bottom.

And the bottom.