Friday, November 13, 2015

Boat is done

Got the last coat of paint and varnish on the boat.  The sail rig is 100% and I got new oars to go with the boat.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Sail rig

Finally got around to making the sail.  Not a real professional job but one that will work.  I used ripstop spinaker cloth and my wife's sewing machine.  I used the pattern from the CLC boat plans.  After I made all this stuff it seams they designed a completely different sail rig for the boat.  After I take this boat out I'll look at the new new design.

Saturday, May 23, 2015


I thought about just buying oars from one of the places over in Annapolis.  I went to Bacons and they didn't have the right size.  Went back to CLC. they had them but I just wasn't ready to pay that much for them.  So...  I got a 2x4 from Lowes.  I picked through the pack and found the best boards in the pile.  I  should get 4 oars from the two boards.  I had some extra scrap hanging around so that made the blades.  I ripped the 2x4 into 1 1/2 square chunks then glued on the blades.  Stay tuned.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Just about done

I got varnish on the inside.  We're just about done.  I have the mast built and am working on the sail. I need to make a yard and a boom. 

One more part.  The tiller.  Made it from a chunk of red oak.

Friday, April 17, 2015


I finally got some paint on the boat.  Two coats of resin first plus a round of sanding.  I also made the centerboard and the rudder.  They both need finishing but the rough forms are done.  I had enough 6 mil ply leftover from the Coot dingy to make all the parts. 

Second coat of paint.


                                                                          Rudder parts


Saturday, April 11, 2015


Finally, we can get outside.  Hard winter followed by a crappy spring.  This is one coat of resin on the bottom.  I could varnish this but I think paint is the answer for a tender.  I'll leave the bow and transom varnished.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Woodwork is done.

Got most of the wood in the boat.  Took a bit to fit the seats and the CB case but we got there.  I'll glue everything in this week.  Lot's of sanding to come.  We have to get some better weather for that.  I do the sanding outside.

The weather is finally starting to get better. I got the seats glued in and will get the boat outside for resin, sanding, and varnish.